The original Cliff House in 1906 perched high on a bank of sharp rocks looking out over the pounding surf of the Pacific Ocean.  Below the mansion, hundreds of sea lions sought peaceful refuge.  To get to the 18-acre park, cliff-side mansion, and multi-swim-tank Sutro bathing building, one took either a steam-driven streetcar, or two electric ones.  Thousands of excursionists rode from the heart of downtown San Francisco to the seashore for only five cents.

Cliff_House pre-quake (370 x 240).jpeg

Advertisements